“My dream is to take better care of myself and relax more.” This is a general statement and my vacation is a specific goal to help make this happen. The following is an example of many decisions I will have to make to accomplish that dream.
GOAL: go on vacation August 8. I will begin the process January 10.
Steps I need to take to reach my goal. (Each step may become a process in itself.)
1. Decide where I will go by January 30.
a. Get brochures by January 5.
b. Talk with a travel agent .
1. Call travel agents by January 12.
2. Go on line and check prices by January 14.
c. Figure how much money I can spend or will need by January 28.
2. Decide how long I will stay on vacation by February 28.
a. Check with work and see how much vacation I have coming by February 20
b. Check extra money in my bank account by February 26
3. Decide who will go with me by March 31.
a. Call friends and ask them if they want to go with me by March 10.
b. Choose someone by March 20.
c. Check with my choice to be sure he is still willing and cover basic information with him by March 30.
4. Decide how I will get there by April 30
a. Check out plane fares and arrival and departure times by April 15.
b. Check out buses and trains by April 30.
5. Decide where I want to stay by May 31.
a. Collect more brochures by May 10.
b. Go on line and check out options by May 20
6. Decide how to solve problems as I get closer to my deadline by June 15. Who will fill in for me while I am gone? Who will do the presentation due while I am gone? Who will feed the cat? Who will drive me to the airport? Who will water the plants? How do I get friends souvenirs within my budget? I need more money. My luggage is old.
a. Get Ted to do the report for me. Promise to do the next two reports for him.
b. Get the lady next door to feed my cat and water my plants.
c. Park the car at the airport if I can’t get someone to drive me I can get an uber driver.
d. Tell everyone I will send nice postcards.
e. Borrow luggage from J.T.
7. Find the money to pay for it.
a. Call banks for loans and percentage rates by June 22.
b. Contact my parents for a loan by June 23.
c. Consider a part time job when I get back to pay for the trip by June 24.
d. Find out if there is a cheaper way to go and place to stay by June 30.
8. What do I want to do while I am on vacation? Is there a play I want to see or a museum I want to visit? I want this done by July 31.
a. Look on line for possible sightseeing tours and interesting things to do by July 10.
b. Ask my friends about their suggestions by July 20.
c. Look at more brochures by July 31.
Life is like an ice cream cone. You have to lick it one day at a time. -- Charlie Brown
My deadline is July 31. The goal is reached. I am ready. I’m going on vacation August 8.
Reaching your goal is exhilarating. It makes you feel alive. Changing your actions and habits will create changes in people around you. These changes will be good for you. They can be scary, but exciting even if others have a hard time adjusting.
© LifeSkills International 2017